When your future
is at stake.®

Call Today for a Consultation


800 North Lynndale Drive, Appleton, WI 54914-3017

Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in electrical burn

Wisconsin burn injury lawyersThere is a common misconception that electrical burns happen only to those who work with electricity. Unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth. A homemaker or child may experience an electrical burn while using a defective in-home appliance. Swimmers can experience an electrical burn from cracked and uninspected lights in public and private swimming pools. Even car crashes and construction sites can lead to electrical burns. What happens to those who do experience them, and what resource might a victim have in such a situation? The following explains.

Understanding the Types of Electrical Burns

Electrical burns generally occur in one of two ways: thermally or an arc burn. Thermal burns are those experienced when a victim is burned by an overheated electrical surface, such as a conduit, or comes in direct contact with an electrical source. Arc burns are those experienced in the gap between conductors (air, water, etc.); these may also be the result of an explosion flash of electricity. Clothing lit on fire while touching an overheated surface may also be considered a thermal burn but could be, in some cases, an arc burn. Exact details of the accident will determine what type of burn a victim has experienced.


Posted on in Electrocution

Green Bay electrocution lawyer, electrocutions in your homeElectrocutions are relatively common for construction or utility workers, electricians, or on other types of job sites. However, many people may not appreciate the risk of electrocution in their own homes.

Home electrocutions can occur for many different reasons, including faulty wiring, defective appliances or power tools, and faulty outlets. Moreover, electrocutions can cause serious injuries to you or your family members. The following steps can be taken to prevent electrocutions in your home:

  • Notice changes in your appliances — If any electric appliance suddenly gives you a shock, sparks, or blows a fuse or circuit breaker, do not simply ignore the problem. The appliance may be malfunctioning. Instead, keep it unplugged and call for a professional inspection;
  • Check cords — Cords on lamps, appliances, and other electronic devices should be safe for regular household use. If you notice a cord beginning to wear, bend, or fray, you should stop using that product. Defective cords can cause both electrocutions and electrical fires;
  • Use trusted professionals — If you need any type of electrical work done, it is always important to seek help from a trusted professional instead of trying to cheaply complete the job. Individuals who are not properly trained, or are not licensed electricians, can cause serious dangers if wiring mistakes are made;
  • Keep electronics away from water — While everyone should know not to use electric appliances or products by a sink or bathtub, even a little moisture can cause an appliance to malfunction and electrocute the user;
  • Do not overload outlets — There are several products on the market like cube taps that allow you to stretch the use of one outlet. While these products may claim they are safe for household use, overloading an outlet in this manner can cause an overloaded circuit, overheated wiring, and can often lead to electrocution or fire; and
  • Take care when decorating for the holidays — Both indoor and outdoor holiday lights present the risk of electrocution, especially if you have several strands of lights going into a single outlet. Make sure you are not overloading the maximum power of the outlet and that lights are not near any water or flammable materials.

Contact a Qualified Green Bay Burn Injury and Electrocution Attorney

Back to Top